Hello Samuel,

> I'm trying to push my first patch to the combinat patch server. It
> seems I need to authenticate. How do I get/choose a username and
> password?

Yes, to push to the combinat repository, once must use the login and the
password of the Trac server. If you have no trac account, it is time to
ask for one. For that, just follow the three first lines of this page.

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac

Once you have a valid trac account, use the same login and password with
mercurial to push to the server. You also caught edit your .hgrc to
avoid typing you password every times. You can add the following lines
at the end of your .hgrc and customize the two last entries :

[auth]
combinat_patches.prefix = http://combinat.sagemath.org/patches/
combinat_patches.username = trac_login
combinat_patches.password = trac_password

> Once I get that sorted, I'll update the "Notes" in section 1.1 of the
> "step by step tutorial" at
>   http://wiki.sagemath.org/combinat/MercurialStepByStep
> which states:
>   For simplicity, the server is currently configured with open read-
> write access (no login/password required). Please do not abuse.

Good point! I will edit it shortly. Thanks for using the doc (and
improve it in the same time.)

Cheers,
Nicolas the little.