I've had this problem too.  The bug is actually that posets determine
whether there is a top element by converting the element returned
by ._hasse_diagram.top() to a boolean.  If that element has boolean
value False (as is the case in your example), then Poset.top() returns
None.

I filed a ticket for this recently, but haven't gotten around to
fixing it (it will be very easy):

best,
Niles