Hi Mark!

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 05:07:35AM -0500, msh...@math.vt.edu wrote:
> When do I add code to the file coxeter_group.py in categories as
> opposed to combinat?

The question is whether the implementation of the method depends on
the specific data structure, or not (that is it is generic).

> For example, why does the Coxeter group element method
> apply_simple_reflection NOT appear in the category code?

That's a perfect example: for Weyl groups, it is implemented by
looking at the action on roots. For a Coxeter group implemented in
term of reduced word, like in Coxeter 3, that would be something else.
There is no generic implementation.

In usual computer parlance, coxeter_group.py provides an abstract
class for elements of the coxeter group. Whereas WeylGroupElement is a
concrete class:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_%28computer_programming%29#Abstract