Hello,

we are currently planning to write a tool/library for solving
polynomial fixpoint equations over semirings (and in particular Kleene
algebras) using Newton's method and were thinking about doing it in Sage.
Things like symbolic differentiation, symbolic simplification, handling
of large collections of terms etc. would come in quite handy.

Is there any infrastructure for (Polynomials over) Semirings or Kleene
algebras that could be useful? I only know of the semiring-category and
the implementation of the non-negative integers.

Recently I stumbled over the paper "Symbolic demonstrations in
MuPAD-Combinat" and I was wondering if the features described there
(weighted rational expressions, formal power series, semirings)
have already been ported to Sage (and if I have just not found them)?

I would be very happy about any pointers or feedback!

Best regards,
Maximilian

--
Maximilian Schlund