Hi!

On 2012-03-29, msh...@math.vt.edu <msh...@math.vt.edu> wrote:
> More seriously for me at the moment,
> there is type enforcement going on somewhere.
> If __init__ is called with a custom class,
> failure occurs because the actual class instance is not received.

I am puzzled.

How do you attempt to inherit from the base class of polynomial rings?
If one defines something like

class Foo(Bar):
    def __init__(self, *args):
        <do something special for Foo>
        Bar.__init__(self, *args)

then of course the Foo instance "self" is also an instance of Bar, and
the init works. Why does it not, in your case?

> This happens for
>
> sage.rings.polynomial.multi_polynomial_ring.MPolynomialRing_polydict
>
> which seemed like the most friendly class of general-purpose
> multivariate polynomial ring that I could find.

>From my perspective, it is the least friendly class. Very slow, too
general to be useful.

Cheers,
Simon