Sorry I meant :: answer b.
"return the maximum of the degrees of the homogeneous summands"

> I think that the default behaviour for categories like GradedAlgebra,
GradedAlgebraWithBasis, GradedModule, ... should be to return an error if
the element is not homogeneous. I have some code which works with graded
modules for a graded algebra and this is what my degree method does -- and
is_homogeneous method simply checks to see whether degree() returns False.

I think that the function "maximum_degree" must be implemented
somewhere.  In symmetric functions, this function is called simply
"degree".

> In cases like symmetric functions, where you are essentially working with
polynomials,
The behavior should be the same for quasi-symmetric functions and
symmetric functions and non-commutative symmetric functions.
Quasi-symmetric functions can be considered as polynomials also
(if you consider symmetric functions as polynomials) and symmetric
functions is a sub algebra of quasi-symmetric functions.  In this case
non-commutative symmetric functions can also be considered as a
subspace of non-commutative polynomials.

-Mike