In a recent post in this thread, Savdeep Sethi pointed out that at least
for certain computations
LiE is much faster than Sage for decomposing tensor powers of
representations. In analyzing
why this is true, I tried replacing the current algorithm, which is the
product_on_basis method
of WeylCharacterRings, by the Brauer-Klimyk algorithm. This turned out to
be remarkably
effective. I made a trac ticket here:

After the patch, taking the tensor powers of the spin representation of B4
(which was
the example Savdeep gave) I can get up to the 12 or 13th power. Before the
patch, even
the 6th tensor power is slow. With LiE, Savdeep got up to the 16th power,
so there is still
room for improvement.

The Brauer-Klimyk algorithm is the algorithm used by LiE.

Dan