Hey Nicolas,
   Yes, that was a bad example...I'll tweak the example on trac.

   Personally I'm leaning towards the second option because it is more
flexible since there may be other arguments a user (developer) might need.
However this seems to not by pythonic, and if we do the first option, we
make it so that user has the change the category, so the user (in
principle) knows that the semantic should not change the output.

   Also, do we want the doc of cardinality() to remain the original
implementation's doc (i.e. not change to cardinality_from_list()'s doc)?

Thanks,
Travis

Ok, in that use case, the extra parameters (algorithm) are not