I currently don't think there's a problem. You wrote:

sage: A3 = WeylCharacterRing('A3', style='coroots')
sage: A3 = WeylCharacterRing('A3', style='coroots')
sage: A4(1,0,0,0,0).branch(A3)   # takes forever

There's three things wrong with your input, but presumably the relevant
one is that you forgot rule="levi".

The other two problems is that one of the rings should be A4,
and when using style="coroots" the correct syntax would be
A4(1,0,0,0) not A4(1,0,0,0,0) since the semisimple rank is 4.

But anyway if you forget rule="levi" it hangs. So I think there is
something to be done in the matter of input checking.
It is true that before the patch you could do what you said and it
will work. I'll investigate some more.

Dan