Hi,

I came across this today:

sage: Partition(1)
Traceback (most recent call last)
TypeError: 'sage.rings.integer.Integer' object is not iterable
sage: Tableau(1)
Traceback (most recent call last)
TypeError: 'sage.rings.integer.Integer' object is not iterable

Even though in both cases the input is clearly garbage, I think that this
is a bug because rather than failing ungracefully like this I think that a
ValueError should be raised with an error message identifying the garbage
input. (For what it's worth, I came across this when this error broke some
of my code which was expecting a ValueError in such situations. Of course,
I could also trap a TypeError and maybe another 20 possibilities but it
would be better if I knew what error to expect.)

In both cases, the source of this problem iis that in
CombinatorialObject.__init__ we have

        if isinstance(l, list):
            self._list = l
        else:
            self._list = list(l)

but it is never checked  that ``l`` can be turned into a list. On top of
this, Tableau(), Partition() -- and I suspect many others -- never check to
see if their calls to CombinatorialObject.__init__ (and Element.__init__)
actually work. If CombinatorialObject.__init__ raises a ValueError I can
live with the latter.

Please let me know if you think this is not a bug. If the consensus is that
this is a bug the I will open a ticket and post a patch sometime next week.

Cheers,
Andrew