Vincent Delecroix
<20100.delecr...@gmail.com> writes:
> 2013/2/17 Anne Schilling <a...@math.ucdavis.edu>:
>> On 2/17/13 9:36 AM, Volker Braun wrote:
>>> Just to relay a comment that I made on #14144. The IPython update broke
>>> branch printing and nobody noticed for a while. So I removed it. There are
>>> a number of ways to find out the branch very easily:
>>>
>>> * Just "hg branch", without even starting Sage
>>> * Look at the devel/sage symlink
>>> * From within Sage: hg_sage.current_branch()
>>
>> Thanks for the info. But for me
>>
>> hg branch
>> default
>>

> use "sage --branch", I don't see why hg branch should work!

+1. Sage "branches" are not Mercurial branches. It is very confusing
that we call them "branches", because they really are not. They are just
wholesale dumb copies of the devel/sage directory.

A few months ago I asked on sage-devel whether anyone is using Sage
"branches" anymore instead of patch queues, and the consensus seemed to
be that Sage "branches" are an ancient relic and nobody uses them
anymore except the patchbot. I guess that is not the case after all
since several people in this thread seem to be using them...

-Keshav