I think longest_element is fine; long_word indicates that there will be a
word returned instead of an element, which is maybe not what we're after
here.

Wiser minds than mine will have more knowledge of how to handle
deprecation, but here's an example from skew_partition.py:

sage: x.r_quotient??
Type:       instancemethod
String Form:<bound method SkewPartition_class.r_quotient of [[12, 6, 5, 3,
1], [6, 5, 3, 1]]>
File:
/home/kaibutsu/sage-5.7/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/combinat/skew_partition.py
Definition: x.r_quotient(self, length)
Source:
    def r_quotient(self, length):
      """
      This method is deprecated.

      EXAMPLES::

          sage: SkewPartition([[3, 3, 2, 1], [2, 1]]).r_quotient(2)
          doctest:1: DeprecationWarning: r_quotient is deprecated. Use
quotient instead.
          See http://trac.sagemath.org/5790 for details.
      """
      from sage.misc.superseded import deprecation
      deprecation(5790, 'r_quotient is deprecated. Use quotient instead.')
      return self.quotient(length)