Hi Jordi!

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 09:04:30AM -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 30 March 2013 04:52, Nicolas M. Thiery <nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr> wrote:
>
> > In practice, the team has chosen to base the new workflow on top of
> > the DVCS git instead of mercurial previously. I am not necessarily
> > convinced by this choice, but I respect it: by doing the work they
> > earn the right to do the technical choices.
>
> You can use hg-git to keep working with hg and pushing to a git
> upstream. There is no need to understand the abstruse git interface
> this way and you can stay with the familiar hg interface. You will
> however need to learn how hg bookmarks map to git branches, but you
> don't need to know the difference between --hard --soft --mixed
> --merge or --keep resets, nor do you need to worry about mapping local
> tracking branches to remote branches, nor will you need to go digging
> in reflogs if you mess up an operation, nor any other other
> gitological operation.
>
> I am working on improving hg-git. If you run into trouble with it,
> please let me know.

Thanks for your input and your work on getting mercurial and git play
better together!

If we had just changed tool while keeping the same workflow, using
hg-git would have made plenty of sense. In our case, since anyway the
workflow is going to change from top to bottom, I guess we might as
well focus on writing documentation for transitioning directly for
git. Of course some devs might choose to use some other tool of their
choice on top of git, and that's perfectly fine!

PS: let's keep the hg-git flamewars for when we are all sitting around
a beer :-)

--
Nicolas M. Thiéry "Isil" <nthi...@users.sf.net>