On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 03:35:38PM -0800, Anne Schilling wrote:
> > - <description>-<ticket> rather than <ticket>-<description> would make
> >   it more tab completion friendly
> Yes, we already changed this.

Great!

> > - ticket/<ticket> sounds redundant. If there is a ticket number, then
> >   the branch is attached to a ticket, isn't it? The only little
> >   advantage of adding the "ticket" keyword is that its a tiny bit
> >   easier to grep for:
> >
> >     grep /ticket ...
> >
> >   instead of
> >
> >     grep '/[0-9]'  ...
> Well, this is what the main developers chose ... not us.

Which does not prevent us from reporting the suggestion upstream :-)

> > - since the description is free form, people can decide to put in
> >   their initials or not. I would advocate for putting them there. I
> >   see Mathieu's point, but it should be ok if we advertise explicitly
> >   on the wiki that "-nt" does not mean that this is exclusively my
> >   branch, but that I am the main contact for it.
>
> But a branch would not just belong to you, but also your coauthors (unlike
> with
> patches).

Yes, that's what I mean by "main contact" above. Give an immediate
visual hint, when I see a branch, about "someone" to get in touch
with.

> Also, people take over branches and it is not advisable to change
> branch names ones they are on public/

Ah too bad. It sounds useful to be able to improve the name of a
branch while you learn more about what exactly you are trying to do
with it.

> We now have a different proposal:
>
> - keep branches in your personal space u/nthiery/<whatever>
> - if you collaborate keep a copy in public/<whatever> as well with the same
> <whatever>;
> when you did work on your local branch you push to both u/nthiery and public.

Ok. Anyway, we can evolve the workflow later on as we gain experience.

Cheers!