> I wouldn't necessarily call that a bug, as it is necessary since A == B.

four people, two options, five opinions...

Let me ask this, is being a k-core a property of a partition or is it a
> *distinct* combinatorial object?

As mathematical concepts, that doesn't make much of a difference, I'd say.
It is just too easy to think of something written as [4,2,1,1] at the same
time as a partition, a list, a composition, a core, ...

On the other hand, sagewise, if being a k-core is only a property of a
partition, why do their methods differ that much? do some methods even have
different results depending on the type of core? As it seems this is the
case, I do think of a core as a different combinatorial object.

just my 2 cents...