Hi Amri,

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Amri <amripra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a fast implementation for characters values of symmetric groups in
> Sage? It looks like sage.combinat.symmetric_group_representations.py
> constructs the representation explicitly to compute the character values.

More precisely, I think it computes the representation matrices.

> I am looking for a function which, when fed two partitions ``la`` and ``mu``
> returns the value of the character of the Specht module corresponding to
> ``la`` at a class with cycle type ``mu``.

I think your best bet is

Sym = SymmetricFunctions(QQ)
p = Sym.p()
s = Sym.s()
p(s[la]).coefficient([mu])

which is precisely the Murnaghan-Nakayama formula and uses relatively
fast tools (either symmetrica or lrcalc) to compute its result.

  Best regards,
  Darij