Hi Travis

On 2014-03-11, Travis Scrimshaw <tsc...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>    I've been using #10963 in developing #14901 (Lie algebras). I first gave
> 'Lie' as an axiom of NonAssociativeNonUnitalAlgebras (which I just asked
> Nicolas for how to do it without really looking at the examples),

Good to get the opinion of someone who has actually used the axiom
framework!

>    Now I feel that Volker's suggestion of making axioms into objects is a
> somewhat heavy-handed approach to something which is basically to act as a
> property, close to decorator interfaces in Java but here axiom determine
> inheritance. So I'd think a list/tuple of strings specifying what axioms
> are implemented is a better way to do it if we don't want to use Nicolas'
> implementation (which I don't object to).

In what location would you put the specification of an axiom and in what
location would you put the documentation of a concrete implementation of
the specified axiom, when axioms are lists of strings?

>    On that note, I think reviewers shouldn't hold up tickets because they
> don't like the current implementation without providing a working
> alternative and can demonstrate why it's better.

Yes and no.

We are talking here about a substantial change to a fundamental part of Sage
potentially affecting most computations done in Sage. So, being paranoic makes
sense.

On the other hand, *because* it affects virtually everything in Sage,
the fact that "make ptest" works indicates that the axiom framework is
sane.

Indeed, from my perspective, three aspects are holding up the review:
Documentation, (in)transparency of the code, and the ease of
defining/implementing axioms.

The documentation has improved in the meantime. Concerning the third
aspect, I think your testimonial is important. And moreover, I agree
with you that the idioms for coding new axioms can be improved later,
provided that the innards of the framework are sane (which I think is
mostly the case).

Best regards,
Simon