Here is the result of running pep8 on the combinat folder :

35      E111 indentation is not a multiple of four
499     E201 whitespace after '('
17      E202 whitespace before ')'
52      E203 whitespace before ':'
57      E221 multiple spaces before operator
16      E222 multiple spaces after operator
2932    E225 missing whitespace around operator
1022    E231 missing whitespace after ','
187     E251 no spaces around keyword / parameter equals
139     E261 at least two spaces before inline comment
38      E262 inline comment should start with '# '
18      E301 expected 1 blank line, found 0
522     E302 expected 2 blank lines, found 1
380     E303 too many blank lines (3)
4922    E501 line too long (80 characters)
121     E701 multiple statements on one line (colon)
18      E702 multiple statements on one line (semicolon)
42      W291 trailing whitespace
23      W293 blank line contains whitespace
38      W391 blank line at end of file
4       W601 .has_key() is deprecated, use 'in'

I would not qualify this as a good state. Can we do something to enhance
that ?