Hey Mark,
   AFAIK, there is not currently a ticket on this. However it would not be
hard to implement R^4 as a free module over R as a default:

sage: h = SymmetricFunctions(QQ).h()
sage: F = FreeModule(h, 4)
sage: v = F([h[2,1], h[3,2,2,1], -2, h[7]]); v
(h[2, 1], h[3, 2, 2, 1], -2*h[], h[7])

Although the natural scalar action of R on R^4 is not currently there:

sage: B = F.basis()
sage: h[2,1] * B[0] + h[3,2,2,1] * B[1] - h[7] * B[3]   # This breaks with
an error
sage: v + B[0] - B[2]   # This crashes my Sage

Best,
Travis