On Oct 19, 2006, at 11:19 PM, William Stein wrote:

> Robert,
>
> We should make our matrices have nrows, ncols, and row iterations
> and column iterations be of type size_t.  On 64-bit systems, it
> could "easily" happen that somebody wants to make a 2 x 2^33,
> and we definitely want to support this.   Plus, MAGMA doesn't
> do this sort of thing well, so it's a chance for SAGE to shine:

That'd be one big matrix... but I agree. I'd also like to change the
modn matrices to take advantage of 64-bit, is size_t the best way to
get a machine word sized int? Also, is it signed? (I noticed at least
one potentially "bad" subtractions in the modn code that currently
used uint, and if we wanted to use balanced mod p values to reduce
gather (eventually) we might want signed ints for that too.)