On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:39:16 -0700, Pere Urbón-Bayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I'm agree with the 90% of your comments, but the last one will be
> strange. The main problems is related with debian policy's that gave
> packages a better quality with QA phase, etc .. and this give them with
> some older packages. I think that we could no work this some debian
> packages directly, we have to look for some solution that help SAGE keep
> the correct software.
>
> As i could remember the biggest problem could be related with python and
> pyrex, sage versions are patched with non-official solutions that never
> will be with debian ...

For the record, the Python that SAGE includes is 100% standard, and I'm
very committed to not patching the Python included in SAGE.

Pyrex is "just"  a
small-ish Python program itself, and it's *very* patched compared to the
official distribution at this point.  That's because Pyrex is still
pre-1.0,
probably -- and SAGE is pushing Pyrex harding than any other project.  I
chose Pyrex partly since it's so easy to fix and improve if necessary.

> But how about other platforms, i think that could be interesting to form
> a sage packaging team that could do it for some platforms,isn'it?

Certainly.

william