On 12/1/06, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:16:39 -0800, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Below is a message from a student who I met, who had tried to use SAGE
> > but a) found the dependence on knowledge of rings to be awkward
>
> I think currently SAGE is not aimed at people who haven't had
> a course in abstract algebra.

This is definitely the case. While one does not need to understand all the
ins and outs of ring theory in order to make a matrix in SAGE, you at least
have to understand the connection between rings and matrices. This is going
to be, at the very least, intimidating to people who have never heard of a
ring. And if they have to mess with algebraic structures at all, they may
consider it an annoying and unnecessary waste of time.

Various people have done a lot of
> work for SAGE that is aimed at such people, but frankly I do
> not have a good strategy to make SAGE accessible
> to people who know about groups, rings, fields, etc.

I'm interested in starting some brainstorming about ways to make SAGE very
> accessible to people who don't know about those algebraic structures.

Yes, let's come up with such a strategy. I do think we need a unified plan.
If not, we run the risk of having a bunch of different implementations of
software aimed at such people, each having low interoperability both amongst
themselves and with the other areas of SAGE.

Ideas?  For starters, perhaps David Kaplan could suggest a couple
> of specific sample problems that he would like to use SAGE to solve,
> and we could think about how:
>
>    (1) they could be done, but require unreasonable knowledge of algebra
>    (2) they can't be easily done right now, but could be if we put
>        some additional code in SAGE.

SAGE includes Maxima, and Maxima is extremely capable at Calculus related
> computations -- so one question is how to make such capabilities
> available from SAGE without the user having to know anything about maxima
> (or even what maxima is).  So far SAGE is terrible at this, compared to
> how good it could be.

Looking at the actual problems that people might want to do is a good way to
get started. But again, I'd caution against taking too much of an ad-hoc
approach. I think that calculus is a great place to start. First of all, we
do have Maxima. Also, having an easy-to-use calculus package that displays
its output prettily is a must for any self-respecting CAS. With jsMath and
Maxima, we have a real potential to blow away the competition here. And
finally, calculus is kind of a lowest common denominator among people who
are using a CAS. It's probably the first thing that any non-mathematician
would try... first impressions are important.

Re. brainstorming, I'd like to do this. Maybe after the meeting today, or
sometime on Monday? I know things are busy getting 1.5 ready for release, so
maybe we should wait until after that gets out the door.

--
Bobby Moretti
[EMAIL PROTECTED]