Hi there,

as you might know the current NTL spkg doesn't use two possible speed improvements NTL provides:

* "make setup4" is not called. William probably disabled this, because it takes some time during compilation. setup4 runs a couple of tests to choose the correct implementation for a couple of low level stuff to make NTL faster.

* "-O2" (the recommended optimization level for NTL) is not enforced in the spkg. This might be a good idea, as the user may do it himself by setting CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS. However, several spkgs do enforce O3 (e.g. Givaro)

I would like to have them both enabled. But there are problems:

* "make setup4" makes the SAGE compilation time longer, but I think the juice is worth the squeeze.

* on my P4 Debian Etch system NTL's "make check" doesn't terminate (it's the LLL code). I don't know if it is related to some funny misconfiguration on this system (my other systems run fine) or a P4/Linux issue.

Thus, I wondered if anybody would like to try these two options and report back if "make check" terminates. To do so:

1) wget http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/malb/pkgs/ntl-5.4.1.spkg
2) tar xvfj ntl-5.4.1.spkg
3) export SAGE_ROOT=<YOUR SAGE ROOT>
4) source $SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/sage-env
5) cd ntl-5.4.1
6) export CFLAGS="-O2"; export CXXFLAGS="-O2"; 6) ./spkg-install
7) Have a cup of coffee
8) cd src
9) make check

If it passes for you, you may leave this version of NTL installed as it is likely faster than the version as shipped with SAGE. If it doesn't pass, you may want to reinstall the original version

 1) rm $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/installed/ntl-5.4.1
 2) cd $SAGE_ROOT
 3) make

should do it.

Thoughts?