Here's a basic ebuild to merge sage-2.3 to /opt.  It is not in
compliance with gentoo quality control standards, etc. etc.  It puts
sage under /opt/sage/ as listed in the top-level sage makefile.

Gentoo complains of a number of "fast and loose" things going on in
some of the compiled code.  Some of these things might be necessary
(for sage) even if gentoo complains about them.   I'll put the log up
later (my dept. server seems to be done ATM).

# Copyright 1999-2007 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

DESCRIPTION="Software for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation"
HOMEPAGE="http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage/";
SRC_URI="http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage/dist/src/${P}.tar";
LICENSE=""
SLOT="0"

KEYWORDS="x86"
IUSE=""

DEPEND=""
RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"

#S="${WORKDIR}/${P}"

src_compile() {
        emake || die "emake failed"
        sed -e 's:\(^SAGE_ROOT=\).*:\1/opt/sage:' sage > tmpfile
        mv tmpfile sage
}

src_install() {
        emake DESTDIR="${D}"/opt/sage install || die "emake install
failed"
}