On Mar 23, 2007, at 12:30 , William Stein wrote:

> On 3/23/07, Bill Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> "In the end the calculation took about 77 hours on the
>> supercomputer Sage."
>>
>> Would it be *that* embarrassing to admit that almost anyone
>> with a high end "gaming" desktop computer could do this same
>> calculation in about the same amount of time? Perhaps yes,
>> given how much NSF money has gone into supporting super
>> computer projects...
>
> (1) I agree that calling SAGE a supercomputer is technically
> incorrect (and I
> had nothing to do with it).
>
> (2) You are incorrect that somebody could have done the calculation
> they did
> with a  high end "gaming" desktop.  Sage.math is a $37K computer
> (paid for
> by the NSF) with 64GB RAM; it was *incredibly* hard for them to do the
> calculation
> using only 64GB RAM + swap, and even then they used many of the
> cores to speed
> up the computation.  The work they did was extremely memory intensive.
>
>> For some reason this type of journalism and "science by press
>> release" disturbs me. Am I alone in this reaction?
>
> I am disturbed by all science journalism as soon as I know anything
> about the topic being discussed.  Am I alone in this reaction?

I've mentioned this before, but (a) you're not alone; and (b) the
problem is not restricted to science journalism.  My experience is
that, when you know something about what is being reported, much of
what you read is confused/misrepresented/wrong/malarky.

I suppose one way to counteract this is to contact the journalist and
educate him, but that's not necessarily going to get anywhere.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income