On Saturday 31 March 2007 18:11, Pablo De Napoli wrote:
> I'm now trying to write a class for the ring of Gaussian integers
> (i.e: Z[i]). This ring has a rich arithmetic (see for example,
> Hardy-Wright) In fact, I've already writen some basic functions and
> integrate it to my local
> copy of sage, but I need to work more on in.
> It is writen in pure python (using the functions that sage already has for
> integers)

Oops, I sent my other reply a bit too quickly.  Note that some of the code in
sage/rings/number_fields is in Pyrex/SageX format (the ones with a .pyx
extension.)  If you don't feel comfortable writing that (and I don't blame
you if you are new to sage), a python implementation of algorithms for Z[i]
or other quadratic extensions is a good start.  A sageX reimplementation is
very quick from python code.  In fact, it is probably easier to get the
algorithms right in python before the code is moved to SageX.

--
Joel