My current bioinformatics textbook uses R for all its coding examples,
and since I wanted to use python/biopython for my course, I tried to
install the R-python interface.  As is often the case with such
things, it turned out to be far from self-contained, and I needed a
whole bunch of libraries I didn't have (this was on OS X 10.4).  Since
I am impatient and low on time, I gave up after about 1/2 hour, since
there is a very nice R.app for OS X available already and I didn't
have any specific connection in mind.  However, it looks like I will
often have statistics grad students in that course and they might use
such an interface.  So I will give another vote in favor of getting R
into sage.  Currently I think sage should appeal to everyone in math
except perhaps math ed and stats folks, and having R included would
win over the stats people.

-Marshall Hampton