On 4/24/07, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did some googling and
>
> a) The problem with "threadlist_ix -1" also happens with sage 2.4.2
> with the current cygwin
> b) The cygwin mailing list has lots of reports about "threadlist_ix
> -1" with lots of different executables (emacs, pari, tar ...), but so
> far no solution to the problem. It has been suggested that the problem
> is caused by certain buggy drivers like certain webcams, but so far no
> conformation.

Thanks.  Is this an issue only with genus2reduction and mwrank?  Or
does it happen with other SAGE components?    genus2reduction is
a standalone program that almost nobody uses.  mwrank is more important
though, but at least it's all open source and I know the author very well.

> I want to install a current snapshot of cygwin later on, but I am not
> very confident that the problem will go away. If anybody else has an
> idea please let me know.
>
> I am also suprised that running the tests takes 7000s on a 1.5GHZ
> Pentium M Laptop with 0.5G Ram. Can anybody confirm this or is it time
> that I reinstall Windows? Maybe all the problems will then magically
> go away :)

Cygwin is fairly slow (and if you have any virus scan software it will be
much much slower yet).  Especially startup times and starting new
interfaces takes a long time -- for some reasons Cygwin forking from
Python is very slow, e.g., 3 seconds to start an interface.
Once SAGE starts an interfaces the interface itself works
just fine -- it's the startup time that is slow.  For the SAGE doctests
that is a killer timewise, because each file requires starting SAGE
(and sometimes interfaces) from scratch.

For a while we didn't support cygwin and only distributed SAGE using
colinux and/or vmware.  But colinux isn't really that good for various
reasons (though performance wasn't bad), and vmware can be painful
as well -- the download for sage in vmware is huge (500MB), and
setting up appropriate networking between vmware and windows
to run the notebook very often doesn't just work.  Overall Cygwin seems
to be the best tradeoff.  If I had way way more resources I would
investigate other options.

Providing excellent support for Windows is of course a high priority
because MS Windows is by far the most popular operating system.
But it's challenging because SAGE is a collection of dozens
open source math software programs, and
most of those programs are Windows unfriendly (their developers
mostly use Linux).   Fortunately Python, which is the core of SAGE, is
pretty Windows friendly.

 -- William