On 5/28/07, Emil Volcheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, David.
>
> I applaud your quick work.  I've forwarded your message to the SIGSAM
> Officers list as well as to our white paper committee.
>
> I'll get back to you with comments on your draft within two weeks.
>
> Thank you for including other open source computer algebra systems in
> your list and not making it exclusively about SAGE.  The tone as
> I read it is that there are many good OSCAS worth funding, and
> that SAGE is a good example of one.
>
> One comment I'd like to make right away: cut the footnote on the front
> page.  Keep Bob's fingerprints off this.  It's better to let Bob
> present this to his boss whatever way he feels like.  If he wants to
> present this as a spontaneous initiative from the community, and not
> solicited by him, maybe it would have more credibility.  I don't know.
> But the footnote does not add any information that advances the thesis
> of the white paper.  BTW, one minor point: it's "ACM SIGSAM"
> (no slash, no hyphen).

Will do.

> The primary motivation behind SIGSAM's white paper project is to
> justify the importance, general utility, applicability of computer
> algebra software and research.  Your white paper starts from the
> assumption that the reader knows about CAS and realizes why they are
> important, at least by the very fact that they spend money on licenses
> for commercial software.  It's a different direction, with a
> different starting point, and it's a good start.

I can give examples of how important (for example) GAP has been
to research in Riemann surfaces and William has examples of SAGE
and modular forms/elliptic curves. This would get very technical very fast.
Would that be useful?

> A thought occurs to me.  What I we filed a Freedom of
> Information Act (FOIA) request for the total amount of NSF funding
> that pays licenses for commercial computer algebra systems such as
> Maple, Mathematica, and Magma?  We should ask for this across all

I think this is a great idea!

> disciplines, including, say, engineering.  That figure is a government
> record subject to disclosure.  We could also ask the DoE and NIH as
> well, if we're feeling ambitious (but probably not the DoD).  It would
> provide some sort of baseline for comparison.  So if we say,
> "Dear NSF: since you're spending so much money on commercial
> CAS, couldn't you please fund open source CAS at a rate of a dime
> for every dollar you spend on commercial software?"  This might
> be relevant to the TCO argument that you are making.

It would be very relevant, but FOI requests take 6+ months don't they?