On 5/31/07, Brian Granger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > For each spkg, there would be a corresponding directory containing the
> > > spkg-install script and the sage subdirectory (but _not_ the source
> > > code for the package itself).  I think it would be a good idea to
> > > create a format for the spkgs that is a little more standardized.
> > > Here is an example:
> > >
> > > ipython-0.8
> > >     spkg-install             # existing spkg-install script
> > >     ./spkg-patches       # rename the sage directory to this for clarity
> > >     spkg-fetch.py         # a python script that could be called to
> > > get the source for ipython

Would spkg-fetch.py download package A from A's homepage or from sage.math?

> > > I think the spkg-fetch.py script is an important part of this.  It
> > > would allow us to not include the source code for each package in the
> > > repo, but it would make it very easy to write a script that begins
> > > with only the scripts in the repo and builds a full source
> > > distribution of everything.
> I think this penalty could be paid once - the source packages could be
> downloaded into the hg tree - but not commited to the repo.  Once that
> is done, the spkgs could be built in place.
>
> My thought is that the only people who would have to do this are those
> who are maintaining/creating spkgs.  Most people will simply use the
> created spkgs that include the source.

So if I download sage-version.tar, it would have the spkgs with their
sources. If I ran sage -upgrade,  it would do an hg checkout on the
spkg/standard directory, update any spkg that needs to be and download
(if necessary) the sources to build and compile them. Did I get that
right?

didier