> At the moment, plot_vector_field is only capable of plotting product
> vector fields, which is unacceptable for my use of it in an ODE
> class.  Since it is a crucial issue for my use, I plan on trying to
> extend it to handle arbitrary 2d fields, unless Alex Clemesha feels
> like doing it for me.  Any tips are appreciated.

Hi Marshall,

The motivation behind the function 'plot_vector_field' is it is one of
several from Mathematica's 'PlotField' plotting functions, see:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/Compatibility/tutorial/Graphics/PlotField.html

If you go to the above link, I think you will find that the other couple
'missing' functions (not in SAGE yet), are the others listed on the page.

Actually, in SAGE, is the class 'GraphicPrimitive_PlotField', which is a
more general
class that was designed to enable the implementation all the functions of
Mathematica's 'PlotField' package ... and actually implementing the rest of
those functions might be 'easy'.  (but if you want to do that and you want
them to look really nice, get ready to chase around pixels ;)

What is really going on with the class 'GraphicPrimitive_PlotField' is it is
a wrapper
on top of matplotlib's (see google if you are not familiar) 'quiver'
function.
The quiver function is a pretty general function, and it holds all the
underlying parameters (arrows of constant length) that can be manipulated.

Alex

p.s. I'm glad you are interested in some of the more 'advanced'-ish plotting
functions
in SAGE, you can make some beautiful and illuminating images with them,
and they definitely couldn't hurt being improved.