I have some interest in such an implementation, although more as a
user of it than an architect/developer.  I would encourage you to do
it in sage and not GAP.

I can at least commit to help testing any code you work on.

There might be some helpful overlap with Anders Jensen's gfan program,
which already has a partial interface to sage written.  Gfan is
capable of some tropical computations, although I am not sure exactly
what is externally callable.  If you are unfamiliar with gfan, perhaps
a good place to start is:
http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0507563

Cheers,
Marshall Hampton