This is a biginner question.
I am running sage on a PC runing debian.
I am not able to get the emacs support to work. I would really love to
work within emacs.
I copied the sage.elc file in a directory called .emacs-scripts, and
added the following lines in my .emacs as instructed on the sage
website.
;; support for sage/python/pyrex
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/home/chandu/.emacs-
scripts/"))

(load "pyrex-mode")
(load "python-mode")
(setq ipython-command "/usr/local/bin/sage")  ;; depends on where your
sage is.
(load "/usr/local/bin/sage")
(require 'ipython)

(fset 'py-shell-fullscreen
   [?\M-x ?p ?y ?- ?s ?h ?e ?l ?l return ?\C-x ?1])
(define-key esc-map "i" 'py-shell-fullscreen)

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.pyx\\'" . pyrex-mode) auto-mode-
alist))
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.pxd\\'" . pyrex-mode) auto-mode-
alist))
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.pxi\\'" . python-mode) auto-mode-
alist))
I get the following errors when I run emacs.

(source)...
derived...done
(source)...done
mode...done
sage...

An error has occurred while loading `/home/
chandu/.emacs':

Invalid read syntax:
"#"

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the
cause
of the error in your initialization file and remove it.
Start
Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete
error
backtrace
I don't see a # anywhere in my .emacs file. Also, I do not get these
errors if  I omit the above sage related part from my .emacs.
I would appreciate help with this.
I am not too familiar with such systems, and have just begun using
maxima  (from sage) for a problem, and I am liking
it.

Our department's system administrators have installed sage on a server
now, and I hope others will start using it as well.

Thank you,

Bhalchandra D. Thatte
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch,  New
Zealand

first-initials-and-last-name (with no dots or dashes ...) at gmail