There are two levels of problems

1. We can't include 64 bit compilers because we have no binaries that
work for them.

2. The ar extracting hack is because we are  tricking numpy's
distutils into doing what we want.

(More detailed explanation:  Numpy's distutils has python classes for
different fortran compiler types
that match versions using regular expressions. These often fail on new
versions. It eventually defaults to g77
which links g2c. We are tricking it into using gfortran by combining
libgfortran and libf2c into libfg2c and it works
(unless it can't find these).

We've tried to avoid hacking the numpy distutils which automates the
fortran compilation  because its messy.

see local/lib/python2.5/site-pacakges/numpy/distutils/fcompiler.

I have an idea on how to fix this problem, we need a SAGE_f_compiler
class.

Josh