On 7/20/07, Craig Citro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> William -- I just tried to get sage 2.7 on my g4 laptop. Should sage -
> upgrade work to get 2.7? If so, it failed and I'll post a bug report
> to sage-devel; if not, I'll just download and compile from source.

As I mentioned in the message I sent out, automated build or upgrade
of SAGE to 2.7 on OSX PPC is *broken* for very subtle reasons I couldn't
figure out after a lot of work.  Basically, gmp gets miscompiled
the first time (at least that's the only problem I noticed), and one
symptom is that finite_field_givaro.pyx won't build.  Options include:

  (1) install the binary from

           http://sagemath.org/SAGEbin/apple_osx/powerpc/

or

  (2) just force a reinstall of gmp, then do "sage -ba" to
rebuild the sage libraries, and touch spkg/installed/sage-2.7
to tell SAGE that the Python library installed:

     ./sage -f spkg/standard/gmp-4.2.1.p7.spkg
     ./sage -ba
     touch spkg/installed/sage-2.7
     make

That's how I built the binary 1 above.   I have no clue
yet why gmp suddenly gets totally miscompiled the first
time through -- it's very weird.

 -- William