On 7/24/07, Jack Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> GAP takes under a second to compute Bell(1000), compared to over a
> minute (and going) for maple on the same computer.

Gap takes about 1 second for this on one of my test machines.

Nick Alexander wrote an optimized native SAGE function that computes
*all* bell numbers up to n very quickly, much more quickly than Gap computes
even one!

sage: time v=expnums(1001,1)   # this computes *all* Bell numbers up
to Bell(1000)
CPU times: user 0.12 s, sys: 0.00 s, total: 0.12 s
Wall time: 0.13
sage: v[1000] == bell_number(1000)   # uses GAP; about a second
True
sage: v[990] == bell_number(990)
True
sage: time v=expnums(2000,1)
CPU times: user 1.36 s, sys: 0.04 s, total: 1.40 s
Wall time: 2.35

> On Jul 24, 3:32 pm, "Alec Mihailovs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > May I suggest to add timing to the examples in the documentation - that
> > would be very useful.

That's an interesting idea.  I don't know where I would add the information,
which machine I would compute it on, etc., but I'll figure out something.
This is a good idea.  It would also be useful for regression testing, e.g.,
if something slows down a lot that's a warning sign.

 -- William

> > For example, in recent discussion about Bell numbers on the math-fun list,
> > it was noted that it takes a very long time to calculate bell(1000) in Maple
> > while BellB[1000] in Mathematica is much faster.

I get

In[2]:= BellB[1000]
Out[2]= BellB[1000]

How do you compute BellB in Mathematica?

 -- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics