On 7/25/07, Nick Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Timothy Clemans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > A LaTeX document can easily be converted to different formats unlike a
> > wiki entry.
>
> Funniest thing I've heard today.  First time I've heard that process
> be considered "easy".  Tools such as hevea and latex2html do a
> reasonable job, but they're certainly not perfect, and they really
> don't handle custom styles and macros very well.

in his defense I would also have written something similar,
though definitely without the word "easily".   Maybe what is
really true is that conversion from other formats to latex
is surprisingly not so well supported, and latex is a very
good format if you want to produce a good-looking written document.

Thanks for mentioning hevea, which I had never heard of.

> bell_number probably should call expnums.

I think the bell_number command should remain, since a person who
knows about "Bell numbers" and wants to compute them might have
no clue that expnums is at all relevant.  In fact, I only knew
because I vaguely recalled seeing the variable name "bell" in
the source code of expnums.pyx when you sent me the patch!
In any case, I've made a patch (see attached) that uses your expnums
to make the bell_number command vastly faster (since your implemention
is so much better than the one in Gap).

> Answers are already cached by expnums.

In what sense?
sage: time v=expnums(1500,1)
CPU times: user 0.36 s, sys: 0.01 s, total: 0.37 s
Wall time: 0.39
sage: time v=expnums(1500,1)
CPU times: user 0.36 s, sys: 0.00 s, total: 0.37 s
Wall time: 0.38

> There is a tuning improvement to be made: by doubling the amount of
> storage required, you can save recomputing the first n when you ask
> for the first n+k.  Asymptotically, that makes no difference, but I
> could implement it anyway.

Thanks!

William