On 7/29/07, Alec Mihailovs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: "Bobby Moretti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >> Well, I wouldn't call SAGE a single program.
> >
> > The issue is complicated, and I doubt a lawyer would agree.
> >
> > Besides, that's exactly what
> >> commercial CAS's do. In particular, Maple includes gmp and a series of
> >> other
> >> programs under separate licenses.
> >
> > gmp is licensed under the GNU LGPL, which is GPL without the linking
> > requirements, so Maple can do what they want, as long as they don't
> > modify GMP. If they modify GMP, then they have to publish their
> > changes under the LGPL, but they can leave the maple core alone.
>
> I agree that including gmp in Maple wasn't a good example. Nevertheless,
> SAGE AFAICT is a distribution of various programs rather than a single
> program. Something like, say, TEX Live, that doesn't have a single license,
> see http://www.tug.org/texlive/LICENSE.TL

It would be one thing if SAGE was just a distribution of software,
with a package management system. But SAGE contains (lots) of code
that wraps these libraries and provides a unified interface to them.
I'm fairly confident that this falls under the GPL's concept of
'linking'.

--
Bobby Moretti
[EMAIL PROTECTED]