On Aug 5, 2007, at 14:58 , Alec Mihailovs wrote:

> From: "Justin C. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> Tthere are large mounds of open source lying around for anyone to
>> inspect.  The unix kernel is one such (nowadays).  Take a look :-}
>
> Justin, do you have a link? I just searched Google for Unix kernel
> sources
> and found the Unix V7 tour at http://www.tamacom.com/tour/kernel/
> unix/ .
>
> I looked at the main and few other files - the comments are very
> rare and
> mostly serve as "section titles". It is as far from literate
> programming as
> it can be. The code seems to be very clean though and understandable.

By "the unix kernel", I meant any of the freely-available versions,
like the BSDs.  For example, look at the IP protocol code in the
FreeBSD kernel:
     <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet>
say, ip_input.c.

Beauty, as always, is in my eye :-}

FWIW, yes, by comparision, the early unix kernel code, say V5, V6,
and even V7, was pretty clean and understandable.  Remember that this
was code crafted mostly by two people, not a Hoard :--}

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Director