Anyone who is an academic using SAGE should try to give a little talk
on it to your department (unneccessary at UW of course).  I did this
and I generated a fair amount of interest from our grad students.  The
faculty weren't overwhelmed, they all wanted particular things that
sage currently lacks - an easy linear programming interface, support
for R, bifurcation analysis, etc.

I think the exhibit at the joint meetings will help a lot.  We should
do similar things at other meetings - I haven't had the time or energy
to do that yet, but after the joint meetings maybe it will be easier
for 1-2 people to set up a table at things like MathFest, SIAM,
Society for Mathematical Biology, local MAA meetings, whatever.

One of my goals is also to do more undergraduate research/development
work with sage.  One can view big unfergrad poster sessions as free
advertising, at least to an academic audience.

I agree with some other posters that eye-candy is crucial.  I think a
lot more could be done with Tachyon that might impress people.  Also,
exporting to PDF is very important I think, and currently seems a
little broken (although maybe I am not doing it right).

-Marshall