On 8/20/07, didier deshommes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [I was going to post this on Trac as an "enhancement", but Trac seems
> to be down at the moment]

I just checked and trac isn't down.   If it ever does go down though, please
report immediately.

> Current;y, the only official dependencies for SAGE are: "gcc, g++,
> make, m4, perl, ranlib, and tar" (in $SAGE_ROOT/README.txt). I'd like
> to see these specified with a little more detail in the README file,
> so that new users know exactly what they need to make SAGE run. These
> are what I've used to build SAGE on my laptop on linux (ubuntu 7.04):
> gcc/g++ 4.1 and above (version 3.4 OK)
> autoconf 2.59 and above
> automake 1.10

You absolutely should not need autoconf and automake.  If you need them
to build any SAGE spkg, then it is a bug.  We should not list those as
requirements.

> flex 2.5.33
> bison 2.3
> make 3.81
> bunzip2 1.0.3

Again, you definitely should *not* need bunzip2 to build SAGE, as SAGE
includes bunzip2.  It's not a dependency.  If it is, then it's a bug in SAGE.

> tar 1.6

Yep, I didn't list that since I assumed somebody with the source tarball
had tar, or they wouldn't be able to extract the source tarball.

> perl 5.0
> ranlib 2.17.50
> m4 1.4.8

William