> > The root finding is much much more accurate, and no doubt faster too.
>
> I really hope this is true.  Have you tested it?

I haven't. However, I remember testing the same example that was in
GSL's documentation. It was something like x^3-1, something that had 1
as a root. The GSL root ~ 1 was accurate to 10 or 12 places, and the
numpy root only to about 5. I have no reason to assume GSL is faster
except that numpy converts the problem to an eigenvalue problem first,
and GSL doesn't, and numpy is python, GSL is C.