On 9/9/07, Pablo De Napoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Simpy is indeed an interesting package and could be useful in a future
> for rewriting the
> calculus package (replacing maxima)
>
> However. rather than incorporating it into Sage as a package, I feel
> that we will need to take some of it code and re-write it to fit well
> into Sage.
>
> This is because, Sage already has faster alternatives to do the
> computations in many places
> (for example: factorization of polynomials that are needed in the
> symbolic computations)
>
> This is because since Simpy intends to be pure python and does not use
> any external
> library.. Using an external library, C code or cython could be much
> faster for some
> computions .

I tend to disagree.  By keeping sympy's relation to SAGE a
clearly defined package that doesn't depend on the SAGE library, SAGE
  (1) directly benefits from the work of the sympy developers
with no additional work on our part, and
  (2) is more modular, which is in fact a very very good
 thing (basic unix philosophy).

Instead of rewriting sympy for SAGE, I think that same
energy would be best spent on improving sympy.    It will also be good
to understanding how to  convert from SAGE symbolic expressions to
Sympy ones, and when possible computing certain things, e.g., limits,
derivatives, etc., using sympy.  (Sort of like maxima is the current
backend for those things.)

As an intermediate version of what you suggest, in
cases where sympy is much slower, e.g., number of partitions,
we can patch sympy at import time to use our version of that
function (in Python that sort of thing is very easy -- you can replace
any object or file-scope function in any Python module with
your own -- it's frickin' cool).

 -- William