> > I wonder if there would be some consistent way to make 1..4 stand for
> > an iterator, and [1..4] a list.  Hmm:  then since we'd want [2,3,5..9]
> > to be a list, we'd want 2,3,5..9 to be an iterator, whereas (2,3,5..9)
> > would presumably be a tuple, which seems problematic.  Is there a
> > clean way to handle this?

I vote against it!

(a) because I usually vote against preparser changes :-)
(b) it means SAGE is slowly getting its own language and
(c) it breaks conventions, i.e. it adds confusion IMHO.
(d) It might be because I used to be CS major but I think it is okay just
educate users about the -- wildly used -- Python (and C and Java) convention.
(e) It is not a math paper you  are writing in SAGE but they are writing code
in a programming language and you are using a library with a lot of math
capabilities.

Martin

--
name: Martin Albrecht