Maybe I'm just not patient enough.  WIth a fresh 2.8.5 install from
source it gets past this point, and the previously "stuck" test of
constructions takes 32s on my machine.  The difference with the
-verbose option switched on is that there is enough output not to get
bored by 32s of inactivity...

If David can report the same we can un-report the non-bug.

John

--
John Cremona