On 10/4/07, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10/4/07, Georg Muntingh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Indeed, that's great! What about adding an exclamation mark to the end
> > of the function you want to edit, so writing for instance "factor!" to
> > edit the source code of the function "factor"? Or is too easily
> > confused with the factorial?
>
> I think it is worth considering doing something like this, as a sort of
> analogue of foo? and foo?? for help and source code.  I don't know
> what the best notation will be yet.  I suggest we wait a few weeks
> until people start actually getting a feeling for using the edit command,
> and after that discuss the possibility of some sort of preparser
> notation.

Minor note (I haven't been following in detail): the underlying
ipython below sage already has an %edit command (type %edit? for
details) than includes hooks for declaring custom editors, handling
the fact that there are editors whose commands exit immediately on
starting and others that block, etc.  Just an FYI.

Cheers,