On Oct 11, 2007, at 10:19 AM, William Stein wrote:

> On 10/11/07, Yi Qiang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>> I think there is a problem with the way the individual workers are
>> restarted
>> which leaves them as zombie processes.  I'll look into this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Yi
>
> Yep.  I killed them all, since my entire huge job finished (yes!).
> But yeah, it would be good to make sure zombies don't get created
> in the future.

FWIW, zombies are fairly light-weight processes :-}

They are really skeletons of what the process was: essentially enough
state information so that the parent can "reap" them and collect the
status information (I think it amounts to a process descriptor in the
kernel), so even 300 of them shouldn't be a drain (despite
Hollywood's unflattering depiction of them :-}).

It does pay to get rid of them, of course.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------