The short answer is, because that's what either William, Alex Clemesha, or I
did when the notebook had about a hundred lines of javascript associated with
it.  And nobody has bothered to change it since.  I've never considered it to
be a problem, and it makes sense in css.py since substitutions are made for
color schemes.

If you want to fix it, I'll be happy to referee the patch.