Hi folks.

I tried to send the following email a few hours ago (but I put the email
address in wrong) and I don't feel like rewriting it all. So I should
add to it now that I have upgraded sage (so I am running 2.8.8.1) and
the error still occurs.

Perhaps I should open a ticket for this, but perhaps I should also wait
to see it anyone else can duplicate this problem.

Hi all.

I apologize for not upgrading to the latest version of sage before
writing this email, but I didn't see any tickets about this on the since
2.8.7.2, so perhaps no one else has had this problem. (And I am
upgrading now, but if I don't send this email now, I might forget about
it for a few days).

Anyway, the following takes place on a Intel Core Duo (not Core 2, so
just 32 bits) newly upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10, and running sage 2.8.7.2.

Briefly, plot().show() isn't working for me. After looking into the
problem a little bit, I modified the code for show() so that it would
print out the command line that it was using, along with any errors. I
get the following:

sage: f(x) = x*exp(-4*x)
sage: P = f.plot()
sage: P.show()
xdg-open /home/bober/.sage//temp/bober/11314//tmp_0.png &
sage: eog: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol:
gzopen64

So there is some sort of library problem. But if I execute the same
command from a plain shell:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$  xdg-open /home/bober/.sage//temp/bober/11314//tmp_0.png

eog opens the file just fine. So it seems that sage is somehow screwing
up library search paths, or perhaps when eog is run from within sage it
is trying to use some libraries that sage provides and some libraries
that Ubuntu provides, and those libraries don't play nice together. Or
something like that is going on.

plot().show() also does not work anymore for me when running sage 2.8.2,
and it certainly used to before I upgraded Ubuntu, so it is probably
safe to assume that it is getting the same error, and that this error
was caused by the upgrade. (I haven't actually taken the time to verify
that eog gives the same library error when run from 2.8.2, however.)

This is probably beyond my ability to debug any further without spending
many hours, so hopefully someone knows how to fix this easily, or can at
least point me in the right direction.