Hi,

I feel like this is a really dumb question, but how do you create a polynomial
ring with elements that don't commute?  I expected MPolynomialRing to have a
parameter 'commutative', but I can't find any evidence of it.

So, as an alternative I tried a FreeAlgebra and it appears promising.  But
then I ran into what appears to be a bug:

sage: P.<sk,sl,beta,ek,el>=FreeAlgebra(ZZ,5)
sage: sk.subs(sk=sl)
sk
sage: sk.subs({sk:sl})
sk

That is, the subs method simply won't subst anything.  Can someone confirm
that this is a bug that should be on trac (as opposed to me mis-understanding
what a free algebra should do)?  (Sadly, that was the entire point of my
wanting a non-commutative poly ring was to later subst in matrices.)

--
Joel